Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Game Day at the State Fair

Bryan & I had another fun date last weekend when my parents came up to visit again. They drove up early on Saturday morning & watched the girls while we went to the State Fair at Fair Park in Dallas. My Dad stayed home with Sophie & my Mom got to take Sadie to a birthday party while Bryan & I ate our fair share of fried food :) We started at 10:00 that morning - our ritual is to always get a Fletcher's corn dog before the big game:
 

Tony & Jenny went with us & they helped us battle the crowds as we made our way into the stadium:
 

 
The fair is always crowded, but it is even worse on Texas/OU weekend. I mean seriously, that is the crowd we had to go through to get to our seats! The game was pretty exciting, even though we loss. We pretty much knew going into the game that we were going to lose, but we played way better than I ever imagined. It was one of those few games that even though we lost, most fans actually stayed until the very end when we sang the school song because everyone was so proud of the team.
 
Since we lost, we had to drown our sorrows in food. Fried food. Actually, we probably would have done the same thing even if we won :) The first thing we tried were one of this year's winners - the fried srirachi balls. They were pretty good, if you like a little spice. Next we tried the twisted Texas taco. It was a little too crazy for me. I had to look up the description of it because I couldn't remember what all was in it: "deep fried brisket, fried okra, sweet slaw, poblano and sweet peppercorn in a flour tortilla". I only took a few bites but Bryan finished it off & then we went back to a favorite of ours that we get every year, which is the fried grilled cheese:
 
 
Of course we had to end the day with something sweet. Bryan went with his old faithful funnel cake while Jenny & I went with something we had before & loved: fried chocolate chip cookie dough!
 
 
I hate to admit this, but I really didn't like it this year. It was kind of dry & might have been better with a scoop of ice cream. Or I was pregnant last time I had it :) I have been pregnant at 2 of these games, so that is a possibility!
 
There are definitely more food items I would like to try, so Bryan & I made a mental checklist because we are going back later in the week with the girls. Fried s'mores anyone?!



No comments:

Post a Comment