Friday, April 3, 2020

40 Years

I can't believe I am posting this for the world to see, but last week I turned 40. Guess it's a rite of passage, right? To be honest, I have been talking about it for the past 6 months - I was really looking forward to it! When Bryan turned 40, he celebrated all year & we went on several vacations. We did parties when we turned 30, but now that we are older, we are both fine skipping the parties & just traveling instead. So at least we made it to Hawaii & had one last hurrah before the corona virus hit!

But to be honest, this whole month has been kind of a drag. First, it was all of Sadie's unplanned doctor appointments & procedures to find out she has celiac. That was stressful but at least we know. So instead of relaxing on my vacation, we were stressed trying to figure out what she could eat vs. what she couldn't. Instead of me reading all of my chick lit magazines & books, I spent most of our vacation researching celiac & living gluten free. Then when we got home, I had to clean out our house, find a new grocery store, buy all new ingredients for our house & find new recipes for us to eat. Or figure out a way to take my old recipes & convert them. Stressful. 

Now we are home bound. For at least 1 1/2 months. Which means all of the other celebrations I had planned - concerts, girl's trip, parties were all cancelled. On top of that, I get to home school, which hasn't been too bad but I am definitely not a teacher. So yeah, this month has kind of sucked. Definitely not the 40th I have dreamed about. And we were hoping to go sailing or on a big couple's trip this summer but let's be honest, I don't even know if that will happen!

But on top of all of my disappointment, my family definitely surprised me. They did the best they could to make my day special. The girls got up early & helped Bryan decorate the house & then they went to the donut shop & got breakfast:


They even had the special plate out for me! Apparently Bryan & the girls had been working on 100 different reasons they love me, typed them up, cut them up & then put them in a jar for me to read every day. So sweet! The girls liked it so much, they made their own notes for me & hid them in Easter eggs so I got to go on a hunt that morning:


Then they took me outside for my big surprise:


They had one of those birthday signs installed in the front so now everyone knows how old I am:



It sat out there for 2 days so it was fun to look at since we are stuck at home! And I got more texts & birthday wishes since everyone saw it!

I also had some sweet friends drop off presents on my front porch:


One of my friends even made me a quarantine survival kit:


Isn't that hilarious?!

My sweet sister & her family sent me Tiff's Treats - obviously they know my love language is sweets!



It was a big box of warm cookies & we ate on them all week!

Bryan even snuck out that day & picked up some cupcakes for us to celebrate that night:


The butterfinger & the cookie dough were delicious! He even stopped by Unrefined & picked up a few treats for Sadie so she wouldn't be left out:


That night he grilled out steaks & we had a "fancy" dinner in the dining room and after dinner, he surprised me with 2 virtual Zoom birthday parties. The first call I celebrated with my girlfriends:


Next up, we celebrated with family:


They even sang to me & I blew my candles out! 

So yeah, it's not been the month I had imagined, but I am thankful for my health, our friends, our family, our house & everything we are blessed with. This will definitely be a birthday I won't forget but maybe next year we can make up for it:



No comments:

Post a Comment