Friday, June 28, 2024

Parent Camp 2024, Cape Cod

One of my bucket list destinations to visit is Nantucket. I read a lot of books set in that area so I feel like I know it & one of these days I cannot wait to discover it! We thought about visiting on this trip, but honestly, it would have been quick & I want to wait & do it right. But I thought we could visit the next best thing - Cape Cod! We left early Thursday morning & spent a 13 hour day driving the Cape & it was worth every mile! We went to Plymouth first & saw where it all began with the Mayflower:





We even drove over & saw:




I don't think I have ever been in this area before, so it was fun to visit & is definitely on our list to bring the girls back. From here, we made our way through the Cape. If you aren't too familiar with this area, it used to be a peninsula, but they built a canal & there is only one way to get there by car & it is over a bridge so now it is officially an island broke into several cities:


We made our first stop in the Mid Cape, in Barnstable at Hyannis. It is mostly known for bring the favorite get away of the Kennedy family. In fact, they even have a memorial there facing the water:



We drove through their downtown & had planned on stopping at the Grilled Cheese Gallery, but it hadn't opened for the season yet. Instead, we got in the car & drove to South Yarmouth where I had read about the best saltwater taffy on the island:



You know I always get excited when I see something advertised as gf!


We had fun picking bags of candy for the girls - I packed Sadie & he packed Sophie because they have a different flavor profile:



We eventually made our way to Chatham, which is in the lower cape. I hate to admit this out loud, but I based most of our driving around food. Ha! We love food & it is become even more important once I had to change my diet. I kept reading about this seafood restaurant that was the best on the cape where everything was gf & it did not disappoint:


We sat outside & the weather was PERFECT! It was so much cooler closer to the water & I had fried everything. Ha! Fried calamari, onion rings, shrimp - it was delicious! Bryan had a lobster roll, too:


I knew Chatham was a popular area, but I had no idea how much I would like it. It was definitely our favorite area. We drove to the lighthouse:




checked out the beach:


then we drove by this resort & I fell in love. Ha! It was so beautiful on this cliff overlooking the water. We liked it so much, we stopped, walked around the property & enjoyed the views. Bryan had planned a trip here last year that we didn't end up going on & come to find out, he had 2 hotels picked out & this was one of them:





I mean those flowers, that view - gorgeous!





We cannot wait to come back here to spend a few days! Since it was only that afternoon & had plenty of time, we decided to drive all the way to the end of the outer cape to Provincetown. It was very crowded down there, but it had a great downtown right on the water with a lot of shopping & restaurants. We were not hungry & it was so crowded, we just decided to drive through it, but we never stopped. Instead, we headed to Race Point Beach & walked around. Out of all of the beaches we saw all day, this one was my favorite & we were there around sunset which made it even prettier:



Side note, the water was freezing! This is definitely a beach to sit out but not swim at!

On our way back to Rhode Island, I had one more stop for us in Harwich at Sweet Izzy's:


Ice cream shops are a dime a dozen on the Cape & we saw more than I could count, but this one was by far the highest rated on the island for allergies:



and it was amazing! 


I try not to talk too much food on here anymore I can't help it because I had chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, with waffle cone pieces, peanut butter & fudge & every single bite was gluten & dairy free. Yes m'aam!


It was a long day & poor Bryan drove the entire time while I got to enjoy the scenery, but it was a fantastic day! I loved visiting somewhere new & we have already planned a vacay here with the girls, but this just made me even more excited for Nantucket. One of these days we'll go there next:

No comments:

Post a Comment